Tuesday, March 07, 2006

RE: st: question about svy commands

I was aware of -svymean-, as I presume was the original questioner. Whether the questioner is better off cycling around -svymean- or doing things some other way I cannot say. But, to extend what I said, I am not aware of any -egen- function geared to -svy- problems, which was the original question.

David's function _gwtmean does not come with a help file and the description in the package file is very brief. However, looking at the code I see no indication that it will treat pweights as such.

-svy- is unexplored territory to me, so it really needs an expert to comment further.

Nick n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

David Kantor > Nick cox replied, in response to questions from Anant Thaker: > > At 06:13 AM 3/7/2006, you wrote: > >-egen- always follows a syntax > > > >egen newvar = fcn() ... > > > >and I am not aware of a -egen- function -svymean()-. > > > >[...] > > I would add, at the risk of stating the obvious, that there is a > -svymean- command in standard Stata. It has nothing to do with -egen-. > > Also, if you want a weighted mean in an -egen- context, try the > _gwtmean package from SSC: > ssc desc _gwtmean > ssc install _gwtmean > > But, I can say whether any of this is useful for the problem at hand.

* * For searches and help try: * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


Tag:


Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?